We value the privacy of every individual and are committed to protecting all personal information we collect. We strive to comply with the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) and similar laws. This policy describes how we manage personal information in accordance with those laws.
By submitting your personal information to us, you agree to your information being managed in accordance with this policy.
Collection and use of personal information
We collect and use personal information about our guests, customers and staff for the purpose of operating our resort and making our facilities available to you. This may include providing you with accommodation, meals, lift tickets, lessons and the sale or hire of snow equipment & clothing.
We only collect the information necessary for the relevant purpose. In most of our dealings with you we will collect your name and certain contact details like your email address and home address. Less often, we may collect date of birth and proof of identity information.
Other information we may collect and use includes:
• if you make a purchase, whether online or on site, your transaction record and account history;
• if you register for a B-TAG, the B-TAG will record information relating to your use of our facilities including the ski lifts and any purchases made using our debit facility,Snowdough. This information is linked to the individual registered for the B-TAG;
• if you purchase or hire clothing and equipment, we may record your height, weight and shoe size;
• if you purchase accommodation, the length of your stay with us, age groups of children in your booking and any special requirements;
• if you purchase lessons at our ski & snowboard school, we will assess your skills and progress;
• if you enter events or competitions, we may record your attendance, any group, club or school you represented and your results;
• if you apply for a job, we will record your past employment details and referee details;
• your relationship to other persons, such as children, in your care;
• details of any accidents or incidents or first aid treatment while using our facilities; or
• taking photographs and video of you as you use our facilities.
We may also use your personal information when:
• providing you with records or photos of your use of our resort;
• ensuring the safety and security of our resort, including preventing fraud or illegal activity;
• planning our operations and the internal management of our resort;
• holding races, competitions and events; and
• any reporting by us to authorities as required by law.
We may collect and use sensitive information (health information) from you or a third party if:
• you consent. Generally, this information will be used to make special arrangements to cater for your needs; or
• there is a medical emergency or a threat to the health and safety of any person. In this case, the information will be used to provide medical services including emergency medical services.
When you register for a BTAG, you will be automatically added to our "News and Deals" mailing list and will send you details of offers and benefits at our resort. If you enrol for Snow Updates we may also send you information on conditions. Any person who supplies contact details to us may receive direct marketing material from us or other companies operating at our resort.
If at any time you no longer wish to receive marketing material, you may:
• opt out by using the unsubscribe feature in the electronic marketing material;
• changing your communication preferences;
• update your eStore account details at https://bslestore.com.au/estore/Login; or
• contact our Privacy Officer as set out below.
Disclosure to others
We will generally only use and disclose the personal information for the purpose for which it was collected or a purpose related to the purpose for which it was collected. This may require disclosure of the information to our related companies.
It may be necessary for the purpose for us to disclose personal information to unrelated companies and persons when we:
• process your online or phone orders;
• engage third parties to provide services to us, such as marketing, information technology and internet service providers or those who provide support services at events and competitions; or
• provide medical treatment or manage a threat to health and safety or other emergency.
We may also disclose personal information to insurers, the police, courts, regulatory authorities or similar if required by law or in relation to preventing illegal activity.
We do not disclose personal information to overseas companies or persons. Our electronic data is stored on servers owned by us and located in Victoria.
How we collect personal information
Usually, the personal information is supplied directly by you by completing our registration forms, entry forms, booking forms and ecommerce fields. We may collect and update your information when you deal with us over the phone, by email, or when you visit our website or our resort. We may also collect personal information about you through third parties such as any travel agent or travel wholesaler you may book through.
Our Btags also record information as they are read by radio frequency readers mounted on or near the skilifts. The recorded information tracks your location and lift usage and will identify the individual. This feature is important for safety and fraud prevention as well as providing data on your enjoyment of the resort.
We automatically collect some information from your computer or web device when you visit bslestore.com.au. For example, we will collect session data, including your IP address, web browser software, and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as content viewed, pages visited, and searches and/or reservations facilitated or made.
One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests and preferences of our users and customize your user experience. Individuals are not readily identifiable and we will not attempt to identify individuals from the records our server generates unless it is necessary to do so for law enforcement purposes.
Third Party Websites
Please be careful with the information you share on these third party websites. We cannot accept responsibility for the privacy or security practices of these companies or their use of information you choose to share.
If you provide us with personal information about other individuals, you must ensure that they are aware or will be made aware that the information is being provided to us, the types of organisations to which we may disclose the information and how they can access the information. If the information you are providing is sensitive information (health information), you must first obtain the individual's consent to disclosing the information to us.
Security of personal information
We may store personal information we hold in hard copy documents, as electronic data or in our software or IT systems and those of our service providers. We endeavour to protect all personal information that we hold from misuse and loss, and to protect it from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We achieve this through:
• confidentiality requirements on our employees;
• policies regarding document storage and security;
• policies concerning access to our computer systems;
• controlling access to our premises;
• imposing contractual obligations on our service providers; and
• website security measures.
When purchasing through our website, you will be required to provide billing information such as your credit card number, expiration date and address. The server that your credit card number and expiration data is collected on uses encryption technology to protect the information while in transit to ANZ. The credit card information is not known to us and is not stored in our database.
While we take all reasonable steps to ensure the security of information provided to us via the website, there are risks in transmitting information across the internet. If you are concerned about conveying sensitive information via the internet, we recommend that you contact us by telephone, fax or mail.
Retention of your information
We generally retain personal information we hold for as long as is necessary to perform the function or provide the services in relation to which the information is collected. However, we may retain personal information for longer periods to comply with legislative requirements for document retention.
Accessing your information
We try to ensure that personal information we hold is accurate, complete, and up to date. If your contact details change, please update your communication preferences or update your eStore account details at https://bslestore.com.au/estore/Login .
If you ask us we will provide you with access to and allow you to correct personal information we hold about you. In some circumstances we may require you to pay the reasonable cost of providing access to your personal information.
There are certain occasions when we are permitted to deny access. If we do not provide you with access to your personal information we will advise you of the reasons for the refusal and inform you of any exceptions relied upon.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that you have agreed we may store on your browser or your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
What type of cookies do we use?
Strictly necessary cookies
These are cookies are required for the operation of our website. They include, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website.
They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works.
These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
Our websites may set several types of third-party cookies; however, we do not control the operation of them.
The third-party cookies that may be set include:
• Google Analytics – www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
• Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/policies/cookies/.
You can block cookies by changing the settings on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
If you wish to gain access to your personal information or have a query about our collection, use or handling of personal information, please contact our privacy officer.
If you have a complaint about a breach of your privacy, please make your complaint in writing addressed to the Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer will usually respond within 30 days to complaints.
The Privacy Officer
Buller Ski Lifts Pty Ltd
PO Box 1,
Mt Buller, Victoria, 3723
For more information on privacy visit the following websites:
• Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au)
• Victorian Privacy Commissioner (www.privacy.vic.gov.au)
• Office of the Health Services Commissioner (www.health.vic.gov.au/hsc/)
Effective May 2014